Sunday, May 27, 2018

So Am I Still Waiting For My Ears To Stop Ringing? (Sum 41 Concert Review)

Whether it was the "I like the video game or movie I heard this song on, therefore I like this song" phase I went through in my Elementary years, the "I hate Middle School and everyone in it" phase I went through in my early teenage years, and even my current phase which is hard to describe, but heavily consists of self-deprecating jokes and Pop-Punk music, there have been a few bands that have been constant throughout my life. Sum 41 falls into that category, and I got a chance to see them live on May 10, 2018. You could say it was a childhood dream finally lived, and what makes it even better is that if all goes well, I will be able to see another band I also loved to the former "music from video game and movie" stage I mentioned earlier, Simple Plan. Now all I have to do is wait for Yellowcard to come to their senses and realized they retired way too soon, so I can see them in concert and complete the trifecta of dreams that 9-year-old Taylor had. I know I've gotten off subject so let's get back to your regularly scheduled concert review.

The venue of that night's show was Buckhead Theatre, named after the district of Atlanta that it's located in. Buckhead is mostly known for being the part of Atlanta where all of the wealthy families live, but it also has some pretty cool restaurants, shops, bars, as well as the concert venue. The heart of Buckhead is a very walkable area with lots of shops, restaurants, bars, banks, and a lot of other things that make the mile walk from the train station worth it.

After completing most of my walk it started to rain pretty hard, which I knew was going to happen, but despite the clouds, it was still too hot for me to start walking faster than I already was. Eventually, I decided I had no choice but to start jogging to get out of the rain, so I stumbled upon this place called Red Door Tavern. As you would imagine, the main feature was a red door. A cool bar in its own right, it was decorated with lots of random stickers all behind the bar, and even a little plush doll of Kenny from South Park. With time still to kill before the show, I decided to take advantage of the downtime and their reasonably priced Blue Moons by taking a load off and watching the sporting events they were showing on their television sets.



Eventually, I checked the time and realized I had better get going or I would miss part of the first band's set. I ended up being right about that because they started playing a little bit before the previously announced 8 pm start time, so if I had waited a minute later, I would never have been able to get as close to the stage as I was for the whole duration of the show.

The first band to take the stage was Super Whatever from Orange County, California. They weren't necessarily a super fast Pop Punk band like the other bands on the bill, but they were still an entertaining band to watch. The lead singer was very interactive with the crowd, and at one point even opened the floor to questions. I had listened to some Super Whatevr songs during my train ride into the city, and there was one song that I really enjoyed called "Kathrin With a K" so I decided to ask if they were going to play that song, to which the singer replied "no, not tonight. But we will on the next tour" to which I replied with a promise to come see them next time they were in Atlanta. The songs they did play though were pretty impressive in their own right.

Super Whatevr on stage


One moment that will always stick out for me was when the singer introduced a song called "Someone Somewhere Somehow" by talking about how it was about the suicide of someone that no one had ever suspected to be sad, and he reminded everyone that if they were struggling, there's always help out there. The whole thing was pretty moving to me, and I thought it was especially important since May is Mental Health Awareness Month.

There were other more upbeat songs played by the such as "Misquote" and "Benjamin Alphabet," the latter song featuring the words "holy fuck" in the chorus and if that doesn't make a song great, then I don't know what does. I also think I would be doing my readers a disservice if I failed to mention 1/2 of the band had long hair, while the other half had short hair, which is always an interesting combination.

Next up was Seaway. Like Sum 41, they are a Pop Punk band from Ontario, Canada. I wasn't too familiar with their work so I found myself thinking "I don't know the words to this song but it's a damn good song", up until they did a cover of "Get Free" by The Vines, then I found myself thinking "I  DO know the words to this song and it's a damn good song." The singer was very interactive in his own right as well. A personal favorite of mine was when pointed out a person he saw wearing a Toronto Blue Jays hat, and also commented that it's probably not a popular hat to wear in Atlanta, a likely reference to the 1992 World Series where the Blue Jays defeated the Braves in 6 games.

Even though I didn't know much about Seaway, they did have a very loyal legion of fans at the show that sang along to the words I didn't know, and did lots of crowd surfing that I didn't have the courage to do, including two girls who crowd surfed twice during the final song alone, which I got a kick out of.

Sum 41 was on tour celebrating the 15th anniversary of their album "Does This Look Infected," and they did, in fact, play every song on the album, but as opposed to the usual anniversary tour where the band will play the album from start to finish, Sum 41 switched it around a little bit so it would resemble that of a typical setlist from the tour where they were promoting the release of the album, according to Deryck Whibley. I personally was a fan of the way they switched things around because I've seen my fair share of album anniversary tours, and they're always a blast but sometimes you do find yourself wishing that track 3 or track 6 of the 10 track album came a little bit later in the show when your anticipation is through the roof, or you once saw a DVD of one of their concerts where the first song on the album was played at the very end of the show, and it fit perfectly, so it feels weird to hear it super early in the setlist. It's little things like that which make me appreciate that decision by the boys in the band.

The album itself is pretty solid from start to finish (hence the justification of an Anniversary Tour) with smash hits like "The Hell Song", "Over My Head (Better Off Dead)", and "Still Waiting", and I feel like it's worth mentioning that I think "Hooch" is an absolute gem of a song that is worthy of the same recognition those other songs get.  Apart from the songs off that album, the songs they played included Motivation, Fake My Own Death, No Reason, a Medley of Metallica covers, We Will Rock You, and of course their most iconic song Fat Lip.

Apart from still being able to sing very well, Deryck Whibley still tells some pretty good stories and is very good for comic relief in between songs. Some of the funniest instances were asking audience members if they had already thrown up tonight before playing "All Messed Up" as well as telling a story about how he struggled to find a reliable bassist before meeting longtime and current Bassist who goes by the stage name of Cone and then dedicating a song called "A.N.I.C." to all of the aforementioned unreliable Bass players. If you're not familiar with the band, then it might be worth your time to take a look at the lyrics of the song because it's a very amusing song.

Deryck Whibley alongside the only reliable bass player he's ever worked with, "Cone." 
Another story that I thought was interesting was while introducing a song released in 2016 entitled "Fake My Own Death" Whibley told the story about how he originally came up with the idea for the song back in 2002 but it was never recorded at any point because the band only spent two weeks making the album, largely due to that fact that touring was a higher priority for them than being in a studio was, which apparently is still true today because had someone not pointed out to them that it was the anniversary of "Does This Look Infected" they would have been in the studio that very night working on their upcoming album. That story really spoke to me because from middle school all the way to my current college days, I've always been the kind of student to do an entire assignment 36 hours before the due date because I had completely forgotten about it. So the fact that Sum 41 can wait 14 years to record a song that ends up becoming a fan favorite with a music video that has over 8.4 million views on Youtube should be an inspiration for procrastinators everywhere.

At the end of the day, it was a good night. If given the chance, I would definitely see all 3 bands again, and I would also definitely go back to Red Door Tavern if I was ever out and about in Buckhead, and when I do I will most definitely write about it. In the meantime feel free to bookmark this blog if you haven't yet because my next post SHOULD be my first "on tour" entry as I write about my recent road trip to Asheville, North Carolina.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Focusing On Fall Festivals

  I don't attend concerts as often as I did a few years ago. That's just the way it is. Whether it's time constraints, further d...